Monday, January 10, 2011

Gotta Love the Calendar!

While working on his semester exam review today in class, a student of mine named Kameron shouted "I could put a plus sign here!"  He came to show me why he did that and I noticed something that I can't believe I didn't even think about until then.  If you write today's date (January 10, 2011) in the MM-DD-YY form, you get 1-10-11.  He put the plus sign between the 1 and 10 and... wala!  Instant math problem!

So then I asked him what's the next date that will happen?  After thinking about it, he said February 9, 2011, which is correct.  In fact, this happens at some point in every month this year except one.

Can you figure it out the other dates?

Also, tomorrow's date has an interesting property.  There is another date this year has that same property.  Can you figure THAT property out?

Post your comments or shoot me an e-mail at whatsmynumber@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment